Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Spinach & Rice Casserole

This meal was a bit of a comfort-food one for me.

I made Creamy Spinach, Rice, and Tofu casserole, served with roasted beets and a side salad. I apologize for forgetting to "salt to taste" before putting the casserole in the oven, so I hope everyone was able to bump up the flavor at the table. It was quite bland without the extra salt! Cooking while baby-wrangling is always an adventure.

The beets were the last of the winter harvest from our garden, and were a mix of Chiogga and Detroit Red, which is why some of them looked white after roasting. Chiogga are a beautiful candy-striped red & white when raw, but after cooking, the red fades out and you get an interesting white/off-white look.

I was thrilled that Casper chowed down enthusiastically on this, but Graiden turned his nose up. That never happens!

This meal cost about $15.

No comments:

Post a Comment