Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Strawberry Asparagus salad

Last week's meal all came from the fact that I had a large box of strawberries from a trip to Sweetberry farms. I remembered I had one vegetarian cookbook I hadn't used much and always had wanted to, when I pulled it out, it had this strawberry asparagus salad recipe, and so here we are. The recipe book actually turns out to be vegan. Yay. I'll use it all month. It's called "The Millenium Cookbook: Extraordinary vegetarian cuisine", which is based on the Millenium restaurant out in the Bay Area.

The recipes you asked for were the cabbage and the dressing. In addition to them, there were steamed asparagus, chopped toasted almonds, balsamic caramelized baby beets that got cooked too long, chopped strawberries and romaine. Here you go...

Caraway-marinated red cabbage (serves 6 as written here)

1/2 head red cabbage thinly sliced
1/4 cup champagne vinegar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon caraway seeds, toasted in a dry skillet

Heat a dry saute pan over medium until hot. Combine cabbage, champagne vinegar, sea salt. Add toasted caraway seeds. Wilt half of the cabbage in the hot pan. Mix it back in with the remaining raw cabbage. Leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes. (I cooked it the night before).

Mint-Dill Dressing (makes 1.5 cups)

2 fresh strawberries sliced (I used about 6-8 smallish sweet ones)
1 tbspn fresh dill, chopped
1 tbspn fresh mint, chopped
1 tspn Dijon mustard (I used whole grain)
3 tbspn raspberry vinegar
2 tbspn champagne vinegar
1/4 tspn black pepper, freshly ground
1/2 tspn sea salt
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup canola oil
2 tbspn sucanat or maple syrup (I used syrup)

Combine all but the oil in a blender until smooth. Gradually add the oil while blending until fully incorporated. That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment